Re: Cats in Glorantha

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:01:34 EST

Andrew Hall:

<< 1. Basmol is the Lion God and the Basmoli are his followers. This god
 is affiliated with Hykim & Mikyh.>>

     He is, indeed, a hsunchen 'deity', although not the only one associated with cats as there are numerous tiger hsunchen in the Shan Shan, and possibly some smaller tribes elsewhere with other totems. Basmol's cult write up is in Drastic: Prax.

<< 3. Is there a connection between Orlanth and cats as a picture from the
Cults Book seems to imply?>>

     According to the Cults Book, followers of Orlanth use alynxes (that's what the cat in the picture is) as familiars. Yinkin *is* his half-brother, after all.

<< 4. I have an old official RQ miniature of what I take to be a Storm Voice
with some kind of domestic cat.>>

     His familiar, no doubt, although if its housecat sized its smaller than most alynxes (i.e. its what we now know is called a 'murni').

<< 5. Is there a body of information about cats in Glorantha? >>

      Enclosure #2 has an article on the subject, although its mostly about Yinkin. Anaxial's Record will also contain such information, although what's written so far concentrates on lions and alynxes and ignores, for example, tigers.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky