latin and greek names

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 20:43:46 +0200 (EET)

> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:29:11 +0100
> From: Pokorny Ingeborg <ingeborg.pokorny_at_eunet.at>
> Subject: latin and greek names
>
> Are names (espescially for those sun-worshippers) that are obviously
> borrowed from latin or greek such as Sagittus or Yelm Imperator really
> pronounced that way in Glorantha, or is this just a method of indicating
> ancient origin (maybe Golden Age?) of a non-quoted equivalent spoken in
> Glorantha?
> Thankful for any remarks or answers,
> Arthur

Personally I use ancient Greek as my model for Firespeech, and old Norse as a model for Stormspeech.

Therefore I tend to use old Greek names for Dara Happans and other Solar types (Prax Yelmalians for instance) and Scandinavian names for the Orlanthi.

I use Latin as a model for the tongue of the western Malkioni.

As for New Pelorian I'd be very happy to hear suggestions. The Empire seems to have strong Persian influenses with an Indian style religion (not meaning the natives of North America)

        -Mikko, the Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"

PS. My compliments to David Dunham. King of Dragon Pass is even better than I dared to hope for, and I hoped for a lot!

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #253