Re: Barbarian Words

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 09:39:49 -0000

Trotsky writes:

> We've had three different explanations of the distinction between
> a weaponthane and a housecarl (a housecarl is a high class weapon-
> thane / a weaponthane is a high class housecarl / there is no
> difference) and three different definitions of 'tula' (land
> occupied by a clan / collection of farmhouses / synonym of
> 'stead'). Now, in both cases I thought that the first definition
> I've listed was the correct one, but regardless of what the actual
> answer is these look like a jolly good questions for the Orlanthi
> FAQ, so Jeff, assuming you're still Orlanthi expert and are actually
> reading this, be a good sport and add them.

Jeff's hiding out in the UK just now, so I don't know if you'll get a quick reply. Since in both cases I gave the explanations Trotsky likes, maybe I'm the wrong person to explain *why* they're right. But here goes:

  1. The difference between a "weaponthane" and a "housecarl" is IMO that the housecarl is attached to a chieftain or king's household. Our collective gaming experience among the Orlanthi *surely* tells us that there are many more competent warriors in Orlanthi lands than those attached to leaders' personal retinues. Ergo, there are more weaponthanes than housecarls.
  2. 'Tula' is defined thus in "King of Sartar": "The home territory of a clan is its tula. Within the tula are always several places. These include a meeting place where the clan moot meets, a market center, and both a public sacred area and at least one secret site for men, another for women."

Now, it's entirely possible that this "home territory" is a subset of "total claimed territory" (and please note that this is not inconsistent with its definition as the "territory *occupied by* a clan"). But it seems most unlikely to mean "a collection of farmhouses [and public spaces and secret ritual sites and nearby sacred hills, etc.]", and -- unless you're one of those inbred one-bloodline clans we all joke about -- most unlikely that "the home territory of a clan" is synonymous with a single stead.

In my opinion, when you walk onto a clan's tula you are still some way from the centre of the clan lands. And you'd better have a good greeting primed in case of challenge, as you're indisputably on their lands. This situation arises IMO long before you set foot on the clan market or mooting-place.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick