RE: The Glorantha Digest V7 #257

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_tusc.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:13:07 +1100

In the Digest, Tadaaki writes:
> Thank you very much for teaching the meanings of orlanthi cultural
> words. I have understood most of these words come from Norse (or German?)
> and their customs are based on it.
>
> I plan to run a game next month and would like to explain players these
> words and orlanthi social structure but I feel some difficulty about it
> (for we have imagined Sartar would be much more civilized /
> centralized culture because of lack of information, and played as such).
> If anyone have idea how to explain "ORLANTHI IS LIKE THIS" to players
> who have no idea about Norse culture simply , please kindly teach me....

Well, for a campaign that I just started, I took a look at the various "Staves from the Storm Priest", "Wise Words from the Moon Woman" and the "What my Father told me" from the various sources (eg. www.glorantha.com and the boxed RQ3 set) and did my own. The players are members of a Lunar noble house, set in Syllia, so I wrote up a family history, explaining how the House was founded, how it became great and what happened to start the current slide from greatness. I wrote up a "What my Father told me" that was pretty specific to their family and contained the information I wanted them to have (where they live, what they believe in, who their family is, etc.). Put this on a web page or into a little .zip package to e-mail around. I found it worked pretty well.

I'd say if you have a look around the Glorantha web site (www.glorantha.com) and read up on some Viking history, you'll be able to get enough ideas together to put together a description of your version of Orlanthi Society. No idea if KODP has made it as far as Japan, but from all accounts that's the place to start for ideas on Orlanthi society (I layby'd my copy last week. I couldn't justify it with all the christmas spending. Mindgames just got some copies in, for those who live in Melbourne, Australia).

Back to lurking...

Harry, occasionally known as Philipp