Re: Praxians in Heortland; Wergild; Right and Wrong; Fazzur Wideread

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:13:07 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> >And few if any Praxians get to Heortland.
>
> Simply go past Knight's Fort and head south of the Stormwalk Mountains
> and one'll reach Heortland. I imagine it's a popular raiding route
> as why else would Knight's Fort be where it is?

True, though they won't have a lot of exposure to sorcerers per se (perhaps on the incoming side of their spells).

Nick Brooke wrote

> Maybe some historical cultures had "one size fits all" wergilds. Others
> certainly didn't. Cf Salic Law for more.

As I recall, some Irish sources suggest a standard wergild, others say it depends on the status of the deceased. Again, I prefer the differential version -- one incentive to become a thane (and another reason why you need to think twice before offing one).

> I know -- we *all* know -- that Malkioni think themselves superior to
> Stygians. What none of us had been told prior to this was that the Stygian
> heretics got weaker magic because they were "wrong".

It was my interpretation that henotheism does indeed have weaker magic than a more pure approach. This is one reason the Abiding Book spread so fast.

*However*, henotheism gives you a lot *more* magic, so in some ways it balances out (the pre-monotheist westerners didn't do so bad).

And the temptation to have it both ways no doubt inspired the God Learners -- powerful, focused magic (and Solace) AND lots of variety.

Richard Crawley wondered about Fazzur Wideread:

<http://www.glorantha.com/library/eurmal/personalities-fazzur.html>