KoDP advice

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:20:25 -0500 (EST)

> OK, I've formed a tribe. I've completed all of the heroquests,
> some of them multiple times. The following are the major
> frustrations I've encountered:

As an actual victor of the game (who was not among the playtesters AND did it on his second time around--with an Elmali tribe to boot*), I think I can field some of this from a "pure player's point of view".

> - - The "Not Enough Worshippers" syndrome. For ages, I was unable
> to build even a shrine to Ernalda, despite having 6 "heroes"
> available that worshipped her, and one on the ring. Then,

Remember that people take time to grow up! That is, don't expect worshippers to come a-clamoring out of nowhere, even if a lot of your nobles are Ernaldan (or whatever in question). Sacrifice to the gods--show respect to the ones you want to build shrines to, even if it means that you don't get "immediate benefits". Likewise, have you taken the basic steps to make the farmers happy?

> suddenly, I was able to build a full temple (though I STILL
> can't make it a great temple). As near as I can tell, it doesn't
> seem to matter how many people I have, or even whether I scrap
> a few other shrines first.

Scrapping shrines only annoys the gods. Build as many as you can support. My victorious clan ended up with maximum sized everything. Only wish I had a way to save the picture of the Tula...

> - - The "No Cancel" syndrome. On MULTIPLE occasions in the "random
> events", including my meeting with some Horse Spawn who talked
> about the Feathered Horse Queen (which sounds like a pretty
> important event!), I've accidentally hit the button on the wrong
> option and then, because of no cancel, I've been unable to go
> back.

I have found this to be annoying, myself. Some people do have physical reasons when they click on things they don't intend to.

> - - The "Split the Tribe" syndrome. This one is especially annoying.
> Every so often, the clan gets together to complain that their
> isn't enough food for everyone, and they need to split off for

They're not just complaining about how little food there is right now--they're worried about the future. Ever hear of "King Rat"? The split is due to the fact that one is approaching King Rat conditions. There comes a point wherein one cannot grow infinitely in the real world. This is one feature I like about the KoDP model.

> to have worked). Doesn't seem to have a solution; you can put them
> off, and put them off, but all that happens is that the morale of
> the clan goes down and they keep coming back regardless. I find

That's because food is only an EXCUSE. The real reason is that you grow too fast and people don't like being packed together like sardines.

> - - The "Can't Trade For Sheep or Pigs" syndrome. This has been
> brought up before, but it's worth repeating. If you're going
> to make a resource necessary, then it's only fair to make it
> possible to stockpile that resource. I've never played a game

Agreed.

> had the king for 38 years...) but I can't see what's needed
> to WIN the game. (Presumably the Feathered Horse Queen event
> was important, but surely it gets repeated EVENTUALLY?) It's

What are the prophecies?

*My first game ended in clan dissolution through starvation and loss of cattle. Never make too many promises while forming the tribe.