Borderline Rule #1: Pharaoh, Stygians

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:57:43 -0000

Bryan asks (largely rhetorically):

> Is the title "Pharoah" the ACTUAL phonetic transliteration of the
> actual Gloranthan word or is it an English word chosen to evoke a
> very specific emotional reaction in the gamer? I go for the latter.

Me too.

> It makes far more sense and requires far less in truly daft ration-
> alization.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

This is one of the (many) pillars of the "Egyptian flavoured Esrolite" view. If we're meant to think of these teeming riverine agricultural lands as ruled by a "Pharaoh," there's gotta be a good reason.

The usual English-English name for the Holy Country's "Pharaoh" (in some early sources) is "Man-God".

Dave asks:

> Anyone like this, or is everyone just looking at me funny?

I like it. (And I *always* look like that).

This makes more sense (IMO) than saying the Stygians, founded by "no questing without respect and humility" Arkat himself, consciously do something they know to be Wrong, and lose out (power-wise) from doing so.

Of course, IMO before the Jrusteli God Learners the explanation of what they were doing wouldn't involve the Invisible God, but as a contemporary (1620s) Gloranthan explanation it's fine by me.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick