Magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:48:26 +1300

Nils Weinander:

>Another thing that has struck me is that maybe the "pure"
>magic approaches provide more powerful magic, but it also
>seems as if it is less generally available.

I do not believe the magic of the Orlanthi or the Kralori (which are "impure" at a fundamental level) are any less powerful than the magics of the Malkioni, Vithelans or Dara Happans. All seem to have the similar pattern of commoners use easy magic, while powerful magic is restricted for the few.

>For example, take the Dara Happans as pure theists. I assume
>that they can do impressive magics, but this requires huge
>and elaborate rituals and highly specialized priests.

IMO this is an artifact of the Empire intent on having as much magic as possible (like taxes, it is something that one can never have too much of). Pure Theists bereft of the benefits of Imperial Rule (like the Lodrili in the fields) would have weaker priests and more magically adept commoners.

>Contrast the Orlanthi, with a mix of animism in their theist
>magic, where everyone can work magic to a degree. It is more
>efficient with ritual and cooperation, but you _can_ do it
>on your own.

The Orlanthi have much personal magic because their social system is focussed on the clan and notions of personal freedom. Thus gaining increased magic through others labours is a big no-no.

>Take the western Malkioni as pure sorcery users. There only
>highly specialized wizards work magic.

The Commoners, Knights and Lords also use lesser magic and I believe this to be true of the Brithini.

>I'm sure the mixed
>tradition Stygians have more people who can do magic feats,
>even if they may not be as powerful as a full sorcery adept.

IMO a full sorcery adept would be scared shiteless of tangling with his Stygian counterpart. I suppose in some way, the bickering nature of the Saflestran states is necessary for Stygianism and vice versa. If they were unified and went the Dara Happan road of concentrating magical power in the hands of a few priests, then the highest initiates of Stygianism would die out as a lot fewer people would have the opportunity to leanr Arkat's mysteries. The Orlanthi road does not need Arkat's mysteries and so that's also barred to the Stygians.

>With pure shamanism, I suspect that most magic/spirit
>manipulation is done by specialized shamans,

This would be the Doraddi and I believe virtually all Doraddi would know some magic and that the spectrum of magical power within their society resembles the Orlanthi or the Praxians.

>while the
>mixed tradition Praxians have a fair amount of personal
>magic in everybody's hands.

I don't think the Praxians are mixed and their most powerful magic is concentrated in the hands of a few.

>Finally, pure mystics are your classic world-denying monks,
>spending life in isolated meditation. Only a few people in
>a society take this path. [...] In a mixed mystic tradition,
>common people can have some (lesser) powers.

Virtually all mystical lands are now mixed AFAIK. The pure mystics practice the orthodox route while the commoners approach mystical concepts by other methods (martial arts, worship of gods etc).