Lunar questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 09:22:49 +1300

Gian Gero:

>- - One of my characters is a Lunar Orayan Sorcerer; he uses pure RQ3
sorcery
>(do not blame me); he is an atheist but he has lived in a solar society (I
>suppose Oraya is basically a Yelmic society, beside the Lunar Way).

If you really want the scoop on this, then Oraya is a society of emirges from the rest of Peloria. Most of the towns there are Arrolian although there are a few Dara Happan and Pelandan settlements. The Arrolians are Lunars who lived in Fronela and have a sorcerous lunar tradition. So it is perfectly possible to have a Orayan sorcerer who grew up in a Solar settlement.

>Now, he wants to do two things: he wants to join the cult of ZolaFel
>(he has good credits with the RiverPriests) and he wants to make a
>Familiar out of a Skybull (he has good acquaitances among the Bull's
>hierarchy as well)! What do you think I should say to him?

According to the RQ3 rules, he can become an initiate but no higher as he has become to contaminated by alien ways to be a proper priest. On a gloranthan basis, he can still attempt to learn ZolaFel magics but it would be more difficult for him because he has developed a sorcerous mindset.

He can make a familiar out of a Skybull but I doubt that the Storm Bullies would appreciate what he is planning to do if he explained his plan to them. If he keeps his mouth shut at the appropiate times, they will allow him to attempt to tame a Skybull. I don't think they provide Skybulls gratis however.

>- - I am from Italy so I wonder how much "Roman" the Lunar Empire is. What's
>your evaluation? 10%? 20%? 1%?

It's as Roman as you want it to be. One of the Pillars of the Lunar Empire are the Solar Dara Happans who believe the Lunars are their servants. They wear Togas, crucify criminals, throw bread and circuses for the proles, are contemptuous of the new men and view women as property. Many Lunars imitate their traditions as the Lunar Way is popular in Dara Happa but other Lunars may prefer other pelorian traditions.

However the Imperial Army is not Roman and there are no roman style legions. Instead they have hoplites, peltasts plus some cavalry.

>Whats the chicken-ridable creature under moonlight
>on the cover of a future release-I-don't-remember-which?

It's an augner, a ridable birdbeast of Rinliddi in the Northeast of the Lunar Empire. They were virtually destroyed in the Gods War by horsemen from Pent and only now are the Lunars bringing them back to life.

>How can the Coders have all those tamed wiverns?

I suspect some connection with the City of Ten Thousand Magicians in Aggar, which is a storehouse of EWF sorcery. Perhaps the King of Aggar pays a tribute of tamed Wyverns to the Lunar Provincial Government for their use. The Coders are not the only people to have them as some Wyvern riding priests appear at Corflu to retake the Cradle. I don't believe that every Lunar bigwig has access to these wyverns and they are something doled out by the Lunar equivalent of Q Division.

>Is the Spoken Word the same of the Unspoken
>Word and so a secret Danfive Xaron Police?

The Spoken Word are not the same as the Unspoken Word.

The Spoken Word are secret agents much like Hadrian's frumentarii and are concerned with threats to imperial security and so investigate the nobility and army. They cannot (according to Tales 1) stick their nose into Church business as that's the perogative of the Examiners.

The Xaroni are concerned with crime and repentance, and serve to police ordinary society in a way. Unlike modern police, I don't think they will prevent the commission of a crime if they stumble across it in the conspiracy stage. What they would do is to catch the perpetrators after the deed is done so they can be "treated".

>Whats a Moon boat like and how big is it?

A Moonboat is a large crescent shaped vessel with a flat bottom. The biggest of them are large enough to carry a regiment or two as fast as possible but most are smaller and can carry important people and bodyguards or messengers.