mystic gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 10:51:10 +1300

Nils Weinander:

Me>> I don't think the magic gained from worshipping an
>> eastern god (who is really a mystical concept if I
>> understand Greg correctly) is any weaker than
>> theistic magic.

>Worshipping liberated gods (Mairnali fashion) gives you
>a path to liberation, but little magic. High Priesthood
>(worshipping the High Gods with the most ancient rites)
>gives no magic. Worshipping a non-liberated god in the
>east is theism. Is there something else you are thinking
>of here?

I'm talking about the worship of the Parloth (Gods) who are the descendants of the mystical AvanParloth (High Gods) and thus also mystical entities in their own right. Even though they are theistically worshipped, they are not by origin theistic entities. Some could also be treated as spirits and others as sorcerous concepts.

IMO the East Islanders would consider the theistic deities (Orlanth, Yelm etc) to be antigods and worshipping them would led to spiritual degradation as one is straying from Vith's realm. OTOH worshipping one of the Parloth protects you in some way from becoming entangled in the world and so it is proper to worship them even though it does not lead to liberation.