Re: Some game related queries

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:12:19 EST

Gazza:

<< I hope this isn't inappropriate (I sometimes get the impression that this list is more for Gloranthan scholars than gamers).>>

     There's a separate Digest for RuneQuest rules. And the rest of us are kind of waiting for a game to play ;-)

<< The first game year has ended; the PCs are now officially weaponthanes for their tula, and they've got reasonable qualifications for this role (although they are hardly RuneLords,
 of course). Basically, they're a long way from being Heroes.

 I'm wondering if HeroWars caters to this sort of play, or is it more specifically aimed at the actual Heroes in the aforementioned Wars. >>

     While there is certainly a strong bias towards the idea of basing your game around the eponymous conflict, HW copes with all levels of play. At least, the rules do, and Anaxial's Record does. I can't speak for the players books or regional books as I haven't seen any, although, again, the *intent* is for all levels of play to be supported and the question would be one of emphasis. A starting HW character is roughly equivalent, IMO, to a RQ character with his main skills at around 50-70% - better than a starting RQ character, but no rune lord. Advancement is probably quicker than in RQ, especially for powerful characters, but there are ways to 'tweak' that. And its perfectly possible to generate and play characters much weaker than this (I know I would).

<>

     The latter is its primary purpose anyway, IMO. I'm a damned sight more interested in seeing the new background information than the rulesy bits. But even then, the rules can be helpful in terms of showing approximately how some things are supposed to work (e.g. mysticism, for which there are no real RQ rules). As for scenarios, there will be few of those for any level of gaming, apparently.

<< How compatible will Hero Wars be with RuneQuest?>>

     Conversion would be a bit of a bitch if you wanted to keep the chances of success and so forth the same. Assuming you're OK with the idea of coming up with a fairly loose conversion system, we've been told 'any character from RQ can be played in HW, so long as you're willing to accept a slight increase in power'. And, from what I've seen, that appears to be true.

 Will (for example)
 any of the magic be recognisable, or will we just have to wing it?>>

      Depends what you mean by 'recognisable'. Few of the spells exist as such, because HW magic doesn't really work that way. But the gods can still use very similar effects - they just give slightly more magic in addition to the stuff they used to give before.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky