Pagan rulers and Malkioni peasants

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:54:35 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Peter trying to find examples for theist rulers over Malkoni peasantry:

>Not even Estali with its earth cult mysteries for the ruler really has
>this situation - IMO it is very close to Old Seshnegi influence of
>Seshna Likita on the royalty, i.e. entirely unorthodox, but at least
>somewhat Malkioni.

I would have just said it was the old Pendali religion myself as the Basmoli expelled by the Seshnegi fled to this region.

Me>> Eastpoint
>> is a more interesting example as it apparently seems to be a
>> Malkioni city ruled by the Orlanthi Kings of the Valmark, but
>> it's lunarised now.

>Cities usually have less of a serf population, but more of a guild
>population, i.e. the free "farmer" caste.

The caste is "commoner" or "citizen" not farmer, and peasants are members of this caste also. Peasants don't have full rights since they haven't passed the tests. Most of them won't take them because they don't have the ability to and God will judge their misdeeds more harshly if they do. Before the Abiding Book appeared, it was thought that God would forgive even the pagan peasants.

But Eastpoint was part of the Loskalmi Empire (which was heavily into Monotheism as part of the Abiding Book's message) and so the surrounding farmers would have been Malkioni (even if they had to be imported from Loskalm). So when the Loskalmi Empire falls, Eastpoint is going to have barbarian rulers for some time...

>> The only other example that I can think of are the Umathelan
>> Malkioni under the control of the Fonritans although the
>> details of their society is unknown to me apart from the
>> worship of pagan deities among them.

>IIRC the Fonritians are happy to accept whichever deities their slaves
>worship as long as they pay the necessary sacrifice to Darleester the
>Noose (or whichever deity embodies their slavocracy).

I think it's much worse than this. Only enslaved gods are worthy of being worshipped and Free gods are forbidden from being worshipped. Exercising freedom brought about the Gods War in Fonritan eyes.

>But then neiter
>the Umathelans in Malkionism nor the Fonritians in theism are close to
>orthodox ways.

The Fonritans are standard theists.