Re: Doraddi

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:29:37 +0100

David Cake:

> The Doraddi have always been animist, but in the RQ days the
> animists always seemed to be somewhat theist - being equipped with gods and
> divine magic and all.
> Actually, there are lots of Doraddi magicians who practice
> devotional magic, not shamanic magic, and would look quite a lot like
> divine magic users from a rules perspective* - even though they are animist
> from a philosophical perspective. The most important are the Clever Men,
> and they correspond to the old RQ3 Acolytes of Pamalt. They are very
> important, they are the tribal elders and guardians of lore.
>
> * technically,they are practicing Adoration, in gregs terminology, I think.
> They attempt to incarnate the god into their own lives. They are in a way
> attempting to Integrate a spirit that is far too large be integrated. They
> do not offer regular sacrifices as a part of worship, like the theists.

I assume that animists originally didn't try integration with great spirits/gods since they are as you say too large and thus too dangerous. However, after interaction with theist people, the animists could learn techniques to deal with these entities - still within their own paradigm.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com