Freeform Factions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:41:30 -0000

Joerg wrote:

> The freeform polarized the factions in a stronger way to increase
> tensions.

Freeforms must always do this. In a typical freeform, many plots that could have kept a traditional role-playing campaign running for several sessions *each* are explored and resolved simultaneously in the course of a few hours. Naturally, factions start the game slightly more "extreme" than they would in a normal campaign setting. (If they didn't, how would anything ever happen?)

In a sense, our freeform materials are written for instant Gloranthan gratification, not for maximum authenticity and protracted campaigning game fun. They have to be easily accessible, *especially* to people unfamiliar with deep Gloranthan background, and they simply can't afford to get bogged down in semantics, historical or mythical or economic "accuracy", etc. Nobody has enough time to spare to teach everybody how to "do it right". (Nor should they)

Moreover, of course, anyone running a campaign in an area from which a freeform has cherry-picked one deliberately over-the-top and simplistic representative has a *far* better idea of what suits their game than the freeform authors -- after all, this was the last thing on their minds! I am proud that so much of our freeform material has been transformed into mainstream role-playing material; I also feel that in every case the transformation greatly improves the bare-bone outlines of the originals.

Note: I am here speaking primarily of the Gloranthan freeforms I've helped write and run, and also from my experience playing in other people's freeforms at conventions. I am sure someone *could* write a non-polarised, consensual, faction- and conflict-free, Gloranthanly-accurate freeform; perhaps someone has even done so without my knowing it! Scatter "IMO" and "IMFF" (but not "IMG") freely around the above sentences, if that helps calm you down.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick