Volsaxi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 15:54:43 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

>Don't pummel me for a source, but I thought that Volsaxi clans
>and tribes _were_ much larger than Sartarite ones?

The source for Volsaxi tribes being the same apparent size as Sartarite ones is the map of Sartarite clans in Questlines 1. The Sylangi tribe (stated to be Volsaxi) numbers six thousand souls which is smaller than eleven other sartarite tribes.

The Hendreiki can said to be a tribe as the King is the heir of the ancient kings of the Hendreiki tribe and uses the ancient tribal rituals for his enthronement (at least the Kings before Sir Richard did). In practice, it looks like a Kingdom, walks like a Kingdom and talks like a Kingdom.

The King of the Hendreiki however maintains a fourfold division of his kingdom (one of them being the Volsaxi). Since his realm is clearly a kingdom, then by the traditional Orlanthi scheme, these fourfold divisions should be tribes since tribes are above clans and below kingdoms (and confederations). So the Volsaxi (and others) can be considered a tribe, even though it includes many tribal groupings (such as the Sylangi) within it.

Compounding this fact (and adding extra confusion) is that out of respect for the King's claim to be the King of the Hendreiki Tribe, neither the leaders of the Sylangi or the Volsaxi, for example, consider themselves to be tribal kings. Instead they use malkioni titles (a barony is shown in Volsaxiland) instead.

Hence arguements over the size of Alakoring tribes and clans (as per Sartar) as compared to similar institutions in Heortland have unsound premises.

Now Broyan does rule the Volsaxi and is stated to be a King of that land. I do not think he is the King of the Volsaxi but rather he claims to be King of the Hendreiki by virtue of performing the old rites as opposed to Sir Richard's Malkioni rites and that the Volsaxi are his supporters. The alien nature of Richard's coronation makes excellent propogandra.

A similar thing does happen in Talastar between Opand of Voranel and Hrodar Grizzlebeak. Here Hrodar uses the ancient regalia of the Lakrene kings to crown himself King of the Bilini to oppose King Opand of Talastar, crowned with new rites.