Vithelans and foreign gods.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:09:51 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

>Vithelan cosmology identifies three mythic errors by the sons (or
>grandsons, I forget) of Vith: the dudes in the north, who
>sacrifice to the gods, the westerners, who use logic, and the
>southerners, who use animist rites.

>So, my question is, do the Vithelans distinguish [...] between
>their own worship of the Parloth (and the Parondpara, come to
>that), and this erroneous practice? Do they see it as basically
>the same, but consider their own practices to be mitigated in some
>fashion?

Given that the Parloth (Gods) exist before the story of the Three Prodigal Sons, it seems to me that they are legitimate mystical devolutions or as Greg puts it "allegories of transformation" or "representations of the forces warring within us all", not products of theistic worship.

Foreign Gods OTOH are an error of the theistic perspective (bereft of Vith's Wisdom) and nothing good can come of worshipping them. The Three Bad Sons did become reconciled with Vith after realizing that their perspectives were inferior to his wisdom. That is why the the Vithelans have theistic worship of the Parloth and lower beings.