thanes and carls

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:09:12 GMT

I hope I didn't miss anything important about this matter, but I had the feeling you are not sure what the two terms weaponthanes and housecarls mean.
I recall so about this notion:
weaponthanes were the professional warriors (opposed to the fyrd, militia levy) during the anglo-saxon age pre 1000 a.d. in England. With the rising of Dane power, Knut and then Harold Godwinson, the adopted word, with the same meaning, was housecarls: the companions of the king, the paladins, the professional warriors of eleventh century England. I think William's victory changed this again... In Glorantha, you could use the two terms as synonim (for different Orlanthi cultures, e.g. Sartar and Brolia) or with different meaning, but close enough, I would say.
Ciao
Gian