Calendar Arguements

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:07:23 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

>Has nonsense like [calendar-arguements] happened in Glorantha?

You mean like "when did the Dawn start"? Some people will give you seriously weird answers on either side of the mark that makes Plentonius (Yelm rose in 221 ST) look reasonably credible. The offenders are all in the east, which makes me suspect that there's something funny in the water there.

>A modest instance
>is Nysalor, who as is now well-known, instantly corrupted the
>Dara Happans into minions of chaos by his Seductively Simple
>plan of giving them a calendar that had a whole number of weeks
>in it! (28 weeks x 10 days, plus 1 Sacred Time light-fingeredly
>appropriated from the Theyalans, reportedly too squiffy at the time
>to be keeping a proper guard on it.)

I really dislike the Stevemartinesque idea that before the Sunstop, the Dara Happans only had a year of 280 days. The Dara Happans may have decided to hallow fourteen days of their calender as a gesture of goodwill to the newfound Dorastran Unity and found that it actually made sense.

As for the weekless fourteen days, there are some RW parallels. The Romans (apparently following the Etruscans) originally had ten months in their year with the nameless two months being declared wintertime because it was too cloudy to see the moon.