Lunars in Dragon Pass

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:48:29 +1300

Gian Gero:

>In my Glorantha, the Lunar occupation forces in Dragon Pass follow two
>opposed ideals, let's call them parties:

There are two "parties" but the difference is not because they have different ideals but they come from different cultures: the Pelorians of the Lunar Heartlands (i.e. Dara Happans) and the erstwhile Orlanthi of the Provinces (i.e. Tarshites).

>The Scythes are the integralist ones;

These would be the Heartlanders, schooled in the notion that the world is the property of the Emporer and those outside it are rebels that must be subjugated.

>they are supported by Yanafali (almost the entire army),

I would disagree about this. The army is split into the Heartland Corps (full of Pelorians) and the Provincial Army (full of former Orlanthi). Provincial Soldiers and Officers (such as Fazzur) would have some understanding of the Sartarites as they come from the same cultural background.

>the Red Moon magicians

Although the magicians are Heartlanders, most of them are actually liberal university students doing their year of military service.

>They believe in repression of rebels, in forceful convertion of Nomad
>tribes to the Lunar Way,

Everybody would believe in the repression of rebels. If you allow rebels to challenge your authority with impunity, then others to might rise up. Forceful conversion is largely done as a punishment for rebellion. The Lunars do not have the manpower to convert everyone to the Lunar way and many of the Provinces still have Orlanthi in them.

Hence all Lunars would see the conversion of barbarians to be accomplished by carrot-and-stick methods.

>They impersonate the intolerant soul of the Red Goddess. They use
>chaos to further their goals and are rarely illuminated.

Apart from pointing out that the Goddess is not intolerant, the second statement seems to me to be wrong. As Heartlanders, they are more likely to be illuminated and illuminates would be more to use chaos as they have lost their fear of it.

That said, most Yanafali (whether they are scythe/heartland or helm/provinces) would hate the use of Chaos but then they also hate massive pyrotechnics courtesy of the Lunar School of Magic.

>The Helms are the moderate ones:

These would be the Provincials. They were former Orlanthi and understand the Sartarite frame-of-mind much better than the Heartlanders. Their flaw is that they are not related to the Sartarites and so are likely to make the Sartarites subject to Tarsh within the Empire (whereas the Heortlanders want to see Sartar equal to Tarsh).

>they are supported by Moonson bureaucrats (who think that dead
>Praxians can't pay taxes),

I don't think tax-collectors will be liked by anyone. They operate with the maxim "Render unto Moonson what belongs to Moonson and render unto Us what belongs to Orlanth".

>They are the "good" Lunars and usually abhor the employment of Chaos,
>tapping magic, Hazia and Black Network connections.

All Lunars are Good. These people would abhor the things you mention (except Hazia) because they don't understand the Lunar Way very well.