India and thanes

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:00:04 GMT

My source for thanes and carls quibbles is the Osprey Men-at-arms series on the Anglo Saxon Thegn (elite series). I did not reread it before compiling the quotation, but I am quite sure of what I read. The words thegn/thane and the like ARE related to one another. I may admit King Alfred never used the word weapon-thane but I do not think Greg was much creative when forged it. About the Lunar India connections, I did not referred to the British Empire (but I think all of you UK Kipling lovers can't avoid falling in the old-same pit trap). I referred to Imperial Native India, but I do not know its history and neither I am interested in spending months studying it. A pity we have no RQ/Hindu sites in the Web, haven't we?

Ciao
Gian