Wizards vs sorcerors, vs. Lunars vs Orlanthi.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:11:11 GMT

Steve Lieb:
> Lunars aren't simply Orlanthi that have had it
> with smelling like cattle and having to hurl themselves pell-mell at any
> passing chaos beastie.

Well actually, (some) Lunars are exactly like that!

> It has to be remembered that Zzabur betrayed and murdered Malkion. To me,
> the schism between sorcerors and wizards is (in most cases) rather more
> substantial than a rarified theological debate. To sorcerors, Malkioni are
> a bunch of naive optimists at best. Solace? Bah - we (say the sorcerors)
> manipulate the primal forms of the universe logically to produce utterly
> repeatable, utterly understandable results. To extrapolate anything beyond
> that which demonstrably is, is nonsense.

You appear to be re-interpreting the word 'sorceror' from the sense originally meant; we're not talking about a separate society of sorcerors, like the Brithini, but rather a different profession, or to put a somewhat different (and larger) spin on it, a different life-path. To suggest they differ this much sounds pretty untenable to me. (Not that they can't differ philosophically recently: tried talking to a scientist/lawyer/liberal artisan/politician/[insert own preferred incomprehensible social archetype] lately?)

Cheers,
Alex.