Re: Mythic entity correspondence

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:47:07 GMT

Nils Weinander:
> > Tsk, tsk, did the word 'objective' ever pass my lips? ;-) Just to
> > clarify, I meant, how would a Gloranthan conclude this, and on
> > what basis, regardless of whether he was 'correct' (objectively
> > or otherwise)?

> As usual, a Gloranthan has no means of determining this.

Well, at the risk of answering my own question after loudly asking it of others, I think Gloranthans _do_ sometimes ask of themselves such questions, and indeed answer them, on an assortment of bases; perhaps the strongest option ever available to Gloranthans themselves is 'goddess switch' types of test, or wheezes involving testing 'inter-operability' initiation, a sticky wicket on which Greg has been occassionally lured into a tentative forward defensive prod on. (I can only recall him answering these hypothetically: _if_ gods X and Y were the same, would an initiate of X be able to worship at a temple of Y, even if Y's worshippers didn't recognise the identity.) My original question was motivated by wondering, which if any of them would come into play in the case mooted?

> But, Gloranthan reality being what Greg (and to a lesser
> degree, the rest of us) wants it to be, I see no reason
> for _us_ not to speculate about it, and occasionally to say,
> "yes, these two are the same".

All IMO, clearly...

Cheers,
Alex.