Lunar Wanes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:44:23 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>So what is the significance of 54 years and did anyone in
>the first wane know about it until it ended ?

54 years is twice the time that the Goddess lived upon earth (where she started as a mewling child and became the Moon). As said before, it was first revealed by Kana Poor at the completion of the First Wane so people might have known it before.

>I hope that Lunar theologists
>predicted wanes as part of cyclical lunar time or else it was thought up
>after the event to explain ups and downs in Imperial fortunes.

I think they were going by the Lord of the Five Quarters pattern described in the Fortunate Succession. The progress of each of these quarters was marked by some time of trial in which the Emperor eventually overcame a foe or did some epic deed. The completion of the Five Quarters was obviously intended to bring a reign of peace and prosperity - instead it brought Sheng Seleris.

Given that the Lunar Wanes explain why Sheng appears - in the third and fourth wane where the Goddess would be defeated and return - there is no reason to doubt its truth today.