Vormain

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:16:33 +0800

Terra Incognita

>the three thing distasteful about gloranthan vormai from RW japan:
>1: only pirates?

        Pirates are simply the most common interaction with outsiders - there is no implication that the Tsankh pirates are typical of Vormain. Indeed, as you suggest they are probably despised by the legitimate rules of Vormain as barbarians, and they are mostly concentrated on the "least important" of the islands.

        The idea was more to make Vormain mysterious for the time being, by making it more dangerous to visit - its not to imply that the Tsankh pirates are typical of the population.

>2:gods and colour magic

        The colour magic is too obscure because no one has done enough work on it to describe it fully yet. We know that there is more to it than the brief deity descriptions in the Prosopaedia - there are also coloured spirit guardians who roam Vormain who probably have something to do with it. Its also doubtful that the four known colour deities are the only ones.

>3:please don't hate us: blood-thirsty samurai and ninja succumbs whole land

        I'm sure that isn't the intention either. Its important to remember that Vormain isn't Japan. It does not have buddhists (though the mystic inhabitants might wear similar hats), or a shogun, or other things taken directly and unchanged from Japan. It is a different place - and while it looks to be only based on Japan currently, thats just because not enough work has been done to discover what a fascinating, uniquely Gloranthan, place it surely is. One of the ways in which it is different to Japan is that it is currently far more isolationist than Japan ever was. As a result, the only members known to the rest of Glorantha are the occasional member involved in its internecine warfare who is exiled - they are by no means typical inhabitants either.

	Cheers
		David