RE: The Glorantha Digest V7 #309

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_tusc.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:44:54 +1100

> The thing is that "thegn" in the Saxon and Scots usage has always
> referred to somebody higher in status than just an elite warrior. They
> also held substantial portions of land and in some areas the word was
> synonymous with "earl" (the highest rank below "king" in Old English), at
> least according to the OED.

I've been reading this with some interest and just realised I've been dense all this time. Thane was a title of nobility, or at least, Shakespeare used it as such:

 "MACBETH. Speak, if you can. What are you?   FIRST WITCH. All hail, Macbeth, hail to thee, Thane of Glamis!   SECOND WITCH. All hail, Macbeth, hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor!   THIRD WITCH. All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be King hereafter!"

(I admit it...I couldn't remember the whole quote so I did a search on Macbeth and Thane on Google).

Philipp / Harry