Re: Vormain Comments

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:39:38 -0500

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 06:19:55 GMT
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Re: Vormain Comments
>
> Jeffrey Kyer writes:
> > Vormain is probably a well orgainzed, orderly, peaceful place.
>
> You might think that -- I couldn't possibly comment...

Of course! I should be allowed my little illusions, yes?

> > Interstingly enough, Shinto fits in nicely with Glorantha.
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. If there's a RW religious system
> that hasn't been looted for Gloranthan inspiration already, then
> I'm certain Greg wants it scrubbed and brought to his tent at once.

Shinto is pretty hard to describe (at least by me) but a really, really thumbnail sketch would be to describe it as "an orgainzed, animist tradition that reveres the kami (spirits) of the land, ancestors, places and things which has managed to survive and evolve into an organized religion." There really isn't a western equivalent. Though, perhaps, they might have evolved into something similar, especially from the Roman lares cults, though they were much more numinous (faceless) than the kami, which are individualistic and unique.

But I'll have it washed up and sent out. But I'd suspect that Greg's very familiar with it, and there was some coverage of it in Land of Ninja, of course.

The parallels I was drawing was between the Hero War's shamism and Shinto's priesthood. I'll see about trying to get something correlated if folks think its a good idea.
Jeff