GoodGuy-BadGuy

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:55:45 -0500

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:56:17 +0900
> From: "TERRA INCOGNITA" <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
> Subject: heros of gbaji war / how often do you eat beef?
>

> KYER, JEFFREY:
> >One must admit that, until quite late in the modern Era that the Japan
> >was utterly unapproachable. The Vormaini are taking this to the logical
> >extreme, and setting up an area about the islands where none shall come.
>
> >And, one has to admit, that until the Tokugawa period, the most visible
> >contact the rest of the world (specifically China and Korea and the
> >islands southwards) had with Japan was with wako.
>
> I agree this, but I also point out some except cases in more elder age like
> 7C: Northern Korean Army and Army of Tang Dynasty crashed alliance of south
> Korea and Japan. Japan has long tradition of contact to Chinese Culture and
> in ancient times some protectrate at south Korea (modern koreans say we only
> utilized eastern sea barbarians)
> : I think Glorantha is "ancient world".
> But only Eastern area has historically current period bent. ( e.g: God
> Learner invasion to Kralorela (19C in RW) ,Sheng Seleris Period (13C in RW)
> isolationism is natural for eastern politics for Confucianism except some
> wasteful "evil" imperial period like Tang(land) and Ming(sea) Dynasty (these
> two have much anti-Confucianism)
> they tried to remain isolationism in European means, but they cannot for
> geographical terms.
>
> >And abmbiguity is the name of the game in Glorantha, it seems. There
> >are no 'bad guys' Everyone is a hero -- at least to themselves. Sort
> >of like life that way.
>
> except Kingdom of War, Ignorance, Ramalia, Vadeli(Pang Tang?), and so on.

No. That was not what I said. What I said is that EACH regards themselves as heroes. The Kingdom of War are Doing Their Job. Ramalia is surviving as best it can.

Just because WE think they are bad guys.... And that is what I have always loved about Glorantha. Those we strive against and fight have their own goals and agendas. The Lunars and trolls are quite sympathetic when you look at them from the 'other side.'

This is something that has made Glorantha stand apart from almost any other game world.

> Caesar first wanted to become pontifex maxim with election because this
> status is useful for his ambition (some historian insisted) and every
> emperor after him monopolized this status
> with no power but has some authority

Caesar became the Pontifex Maximus for quite a few reasons, not the least of which is the status and prestige. However, I would like to point out that the Pontifex Maximus' postion was hardly ceremonial. Many of the rituals and ceremonies overseen by the Pontifex governed Rome's luck and were supposed to have terrible consequences if they failed or were desecrated. There are numerous cases when these rituals were damaged by omens (black dogs being particularly bad) and vast sacrifices were required to set things aright. Sulla's first Consulship supposedly had terrible omens. And Crassus sailed from Rome to Syria under the worst of ill-luck...

It depends on your viewpoint, I suppose. Interestingly, the various religous colleges of Rome were hedged about with taboo and restrictions. In some ways, they resemble the geasa of the celts but carried forward into 'modern' times.... Taboo becomes Tradition. Necessity becomes Routine. Faith becomes Formula.

Jeff