Re: Moo

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 05:14:02 EST

     Cor, you'd think I was saying something new and surprising from the responses so far - check your old Digests if I think I made it up myself. :-)

Gary Switzer:

<< >>There are no cattle to be found in Pamaltela of any kind.

 No Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer) at all? >>

      Nope. Sure, there are a few creatures in Pamaltela that resemble African and South American equivalents, but they're in something of a minority.

<< Whatever do the Pamaltelans cover their shields with, then?>>

     I don't know, to be honest. But there's plenty of other creatures around to chose from.

<< And what pulls the wagons of the Kresh, if not cattle? >>

     Some kind of rhino, I believe.

Dave Pearton:

<< Wow. That knocks any parallels with african cultures _completely_ off base! It is hard to see any resemblances with any culture other than the Khoi-san without cattle or some sort of cognate. >>

     Then there could well be a cognate. But its not a cow. Tell you what, unless there's a Doraddi expert who knows more than I do, I nominate toxodons. Better ideas, anyone?

<< Are they completely hunter-gatherers now? >>

     I tend to agree that they probably herd something, even if I don't know for sure what it is.

<< Also - no african Buffalo? *sulk* If my Alkothi war hippos have been nixed at least give me my buffalo! They are so much cooler than the American sort, not to mention being a heck of a lot more dangerous (they kill more people than crocs or lions every year).>>

     You've got uintatheres, titanotheres, gomphotheres... lots of things ending in 'theres', really. Official Gloranthan names yet to be decided, mind.

<< > Cows are found throughout western and central Genertela, although you're
> likely right about the source of the original wild ones, since that is
> indeed, where the aurochs are said to come from.

 Wasn't one of the early events of the hero wars the return of the Aurochs to Sartar (KOS?) >>

      Correct.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky