God Learner survivors

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:21:34 +1300

Terra Incognita:

He actually predates the God Learners, not to mention the Great Darkness as well. The stories from Belintar's Book (including those posted up at glorantha.com) contain personal reminiscences from those days.

>b) Delecti (multiplication of disaster of EWF and GL?)

Although he is stated to be a sorcerer, I do not think that he was a God Learner or even a Malkioni. Sorcerer should be interpreted in the sense of an exotic magician (like the Ituvanu of the Telmori).

>c) Slaves of Ralzakaak (guarded by Chaos Ooze?)

Melbotast (Lords of Terror p92 - perished 792 ST) and Sir Rodard of Seshnela (Drastic Chaos p9 - perished 852 ST) are two that I know of. Lorvay of Arnlor (Drastic Chaos p8 - perished before 780 ST) also met his death in Dorastor but if he's a slave of Ralzakark, then he does so as a headless corpse for his head was seen in the possession of a troll princess.

>d) IMG, some GL spirit was rescued by Vormai Strong Barrier in accident

Probably Handaal Farman, the Invisible Tanisoran. He spent twenty six days on Vormain, writing on what he observed there (and sending messages out by carrier pidgeon), before succumbing to some unknown fate. I previously assumed that he had been discovered and executed, but having him frozen out by the Isolation is neat.

>e) Wachaza, Caladra&Aulerion, or other remains of GL Empire influenced cult
>in deep sanctuary.(scarcely)

I don't think God Learners, as defined as one who knows the forbidden secret, were actually part of these cults at all. Certainly some Malkioni worship was part of these cults but in most places (Umathela excepted), the worshippers just dropped this when the God Learners were being wiped out.

>f) Ramalians? (sorry, I can't believe. They have no strong
>magic support.)

Their magical support are busy expended into keeping the rulers alive rather than conquering the world. Some small blessing. Although they survived, they did so by renouncing their God Learners as dramatically as possible.

There's also the souls of dead lecturers from the God Learner Universities of Umathela entrapped in some campus grown torture-bushes.

Hofhalados the Nonwise who founded the Temple of the United Eurmal in Slontos. He is trapped in an inescapable tea party where all the other guests and boggles (one wonders if the tea is dormouse flavoured) which can still be reached even though the Temple is now underwater. You can even learn the Forbidden Secret from him, he's rather desperate for sane conversation, but this is done, you can't leave and eventually become insane.

Lastly there could be some God Learners at Nowhere Land (in Magasta's Pool, ML p27) who were busy looking for the Iron City. Some also reached Luathela, but I think the Luatha simply threw them into the Black Pit of Introspection so they can see how humans die so quickly and easily - they've being trying to do so for aeons and are pretty frustrated.