godlearner spirit

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:34:42 +0900

David Dunham:
>> Survivors or Wreck of GL (of course, they are extinct, it's only some
>> possibility)

>The God Learners live on in their works, not in the flesh (or even spirit).

>> a) Belintar (by timetravel?)

>If I recall correctly, Belintar talks about God Learners as though he
>is not one of them.

He should say so, (as Bazkalia Oskor. Nobody can say "He knew Secret!". as Petrus, he perhaps said three times "No" before cock crowing)

>> b) Delecti (multiplication of disaster of EWF and GL? )

>He's pure EWF.

Why only he could escape? Lucky? I think many strong sorcerors and vampires lived in EWF. Why he only can do it?

>> c) Slaves of Ralzakaak (guarded by Chaos Ooze?)

>If any survived, they wouldn't be sane.

I think so, they should died before their folly.

>> d) IMG, some GL spirit was rescued by Vormai Strong Barrier in accident

>Again, I doubt anyone who survived will still be sane after all this
>time (and all those curses).

I dare to say, Vormain is almost only place which has no bad memory for GL, also that, Gloranthan "Life" involves many stages like flesh body of

ordinary people, other
body-possession, only-spirit, apotheosized, undead, illuminate, hibernation,
hell-conviction,

fix-INTed, etc... "Only other's memory" has more similarity to life than complete "damnacio memoriae"

In RW, herodom is good memory.

>> e) Wachaza, Caladra&Aulerion, or other remains of GL Empire influenced
cult
>> in deep sanctuary.(scarcely)

Mad Tea Party, Pamalteran University Campus, as Metcalph mentioned. What do you think about it?

>We are told that C&A shed as many God Learner influences as possible;
>since Wachaza is no longer worshipped by the Middle Sea Empire, I'm
>sure the same is true.

Peter Metcalph:
>a) Belintar (by timetravel?)

>He actually predates the God Learners, not to mention the Great
>Darkness as well. The stories from Belintar's Book (including
>those posted up at glorantha.com) contain personal reminiscences
>from those days.

he can go there after here, if he is timetraveller.

>>b) Delecti (multiplication of disaster of EWF and GL?)

>Although he is stated to be a sorcerer, I do not think that
>he was a God Learner or even a Malkioni. Sorcerer should
>be interpreted in the sense of an exotic magician (like the
>Ituvanu of the Telmori).

I think he could sidestep his EWFness by trick, but I couldn't have enough to his Necromancy.

>>c) Slaves of Ralzakaak (guarded by Chaos Ooze?)

>Melbotast (Lords of Terror p92 - perished 792 ST) and Sir Rodard
>of Seshnela (Drastic Chaos p9 - perished 852 ST) are two that
>I know of. Lorvay of Arnlor (Drastic Chaos p8 - perished before
>780 ST) also met his death in Dorastor but if he's a slave of
>Ralzakark, then he does so as a headless corpse for his head was
>seen in the possession of a troll princess.

AFAIK, this information is official, if only they transformed into Chaos Ooze

>>d) IMG, some GL spirit was rescued by Vormai Strong Barrier in accident

>Probably Handaal Farman, the Invisible Tanisoran. He spent
>twenty six days on Vormain, writing on what he observed there
>(and sending messages out by carrier pidgeon), before succumbing
>to some unknown fate. I previously assumed that he had been
>discovered and executed, but having him frozen out by the
>Isolation is neat.

good. I think he is now Crazy Spirit like a Sybil of Delphi by curse.

>>e) Wachaza, Caladra&Aulerion, or other remains of GL Empire influenced
cult
>>in deep sanctuary.(scarcely)

>I don't think God Learners, as defined as one who knows the
>forbidden secret, were actually part of these cults at all.
>Certainly some Malkioni worship was part of these cults
>but in most places (Umathela excepted), the worshippers just
>dropped this when the God Learners were being wiped out.

>>f) Ramalians? (sorry, I can't believe. They have no strong
>>magic support.)

>Their magical support are busy expended into keeping the
>rulers alive rather than conquering the world. Some
>small blessing. Although they survived, they did so
>by renouncing their God Learners as dramatically as
>possible.

>There's also the souls of dead lecturers from the God Learner
>Universities of Umathela entrapped in some campus grown
>torture-bushes.

>Hofhalados the Nonwise who founded the Temple of the United Eurmal
>in Slontos. He is trapped in an inescapable tea party where all
>the other guests and boggles (one wonders if the tea is dormouse
>flavoured) which can still be reached even though the Temple is
>now underwater. You can even learn the Forbidden Secret from him,
>he's rather desperate for sane conversation, but this is done, you
>can't leave and eventually become insane.

>Lastly there could be some God Learners at Nowhere Land (in
>Magasta's Pool, ML p27) who were busy looking for the Iron
>City. Some also reached Luathela, but I think the Luatha
>simply threw them into the Black Pit of Introspection so
>they can see how humans die so quickly and easily - they've
>being trying to do so for aeons and are pretty frustrated.

If life is possibility, they are all dead.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #316