The great _elk_ debate, thankyouverymuch...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:13:07 GMT

D. Pearton:
> Ohmygod - have I restarted the great moose debate - it seems that Eland is
> the Dutch name for moose (Alces alces) <shudder>.

Why Dave, you agent flamateur... ;-) This has been probably bubbling under ever since the Elken Vale started being discussed here, mind you...

(My working model for the referent of said 'elken' is something vaguely like the 'Irish Elk', in respect of being a) not an elk (certainly not a european elk, b) a big bastard, c) likely with somewhat flattened (I forget the posh term, palmated?) antlers, d) of the deer family, and e) extinct.)

Certainly the modern Elken Vale doesn't have elk running around on it, IMG, though it does have red deer, which are probably descendants, and certainly relatives, of the aforementioned elk spirit.

Cheers,
Alex.