Re: Minor ROTFL

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:39:35 GMT

Erik Sieurin partially JeSevens me ('Alex McFergus'), then writes:

> ROTFL! SHALL (Smacking Head Against Laptop Laughing)!

Owch, doesn't that hurt? That laptop, that is...

> It might be stereotypical, but what the heck. I've resigned that the
> only vestiges of the culture of _my_ country (Sweden) are guys with
> horned helmets

OK, so we made that part up. Nasty, but you can't touch us for it... Still, where would we be without a model for Uroxi, eh? (*loud exuberantly-shouted suggestions at this point*)

> who drink a lot of beer

To be fair, that's not stereotyping, just __observation of you Nordic types. ;-) Though in Glasgow the main culprits were the Norwegian students, so you can resort to blaming them... Next you'll be claiming that you're not as a people in any way over-taxed, broad-minded, suicidal, and blond. ;-)

> [...] the tyrannical, bureaucratic Swedish empire [...]
> Both alternate versions of late 20th-century countries are refreshingly
> free from stereotypes

Hrm, I thought that was just the P. J. O'Rourke stereotype, instead... (OK, hardly an empire, I admit, though what with Eriksson and Microsoft in bed together...)

Cheers,
Alex.