Arkat returns

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:44:46 +1300

Andreas Gustafsson:

>According to G:CotHW, Arkat is going to return and all the HQ paths is
>opening at the beginning of the HW. Arkat is going to return not as one,
>but five different incarnations! I thought that the following fight
>between them would be a story worth legends if any!

I think "incarnation" would be better described as people who have acquired Arkat's power.

I generally make the equation that the current three claimants for the Dark Emperor/Autarch are Arkats-to-be. Hence my list of Arkats goes something like:

Foyalfine (Arkat the Deceiver): A real snake in the grass. He is currently entertaining Tanisorans, Belstos and Trolls and is offside with the Old Arkat Kult Alliance (any relation to the EOKA of cyprus is undetermined) and his neighbours (he is described as "frustrated"). I think that he can appear utterly committed to the cause of everybody he meets but will be forced to betray them in the most vicious way possible. Hence his bad odour with his neigbours and half of Azilos is a result of past treacheries. To get ahead in his quest for the throne, he's inviting in the trolls, the borists and the rokari to subdue his current enemies, but currently differing on which one to choose. Eventually he realize that he can choose all of them and become an incarnation of Arkat. In then end, he'll betray his new allies at the best possible moment and find other suckers to ally with.

Reinard de Faucille (Arkat the Troll): Currently ruler of Naskorion (cf Tradetalk #2 for more details). Has an alliance with Halikiv. I believe he wants to turn into a troll but needs Dagobard's Papers because it contains an eye-witness account of how Arkat turned into a troll without compromising his humanity (or purpose). Currently it's missing and he's hunting for the scribe Jalques (cf Troll Gods yellow handout). When he does find this, he'll become an incarnation of Arkat.

Argin Terror (Arkat the Chaos Monster): Currently ruler of Tinaros and has unresolved problems with his mother. When he does resolve them, he'll become an incarnation of Arkat.

Argrath (Arkat the Liberator): "Umm. Sorry guys, I was just passing through on the . I have no interest in you whatsoever."

The Good Arkat. Dunno who he is. I think he's for the PCs to discover and champion his or her cause. At some crucial battle, he will be defeated and be horribly murdered. The PCs will be on their own to fight for his ideals because they are still the right ones.