Re: mixed, manifest, martial, and mystic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:36:07 GMT

Dave Cake, on the Four M's:
> Well, the manifest believe its Ok to interact with the world using
> magic, the mixed believe its OK to even do so using magic that is not
> entirely mystic in origin.

That's what you implied, but it's not clear to me what 'mystic magic' is, if one applies the four-fold analysis, so I don't yet see any real difference here.

> > Whether Kralorelan mysticism is
> >'manifest', 'mix', or both, is an issue which I shall attempt to
> >duck with a nimble "It's definitely Draconic".
>
> except not draconic in the same way as dragonnewts and other
> draconic things are draconic?

Depends what you mean by 'not in the same way'. One can readily discern a difference between Krissa Yar and Godunya, but in what sense are they 'differently draconic'? Do you mean a difference in method, or in result? The ostensible purpose of Darudism is becoming a higher order of draconic being than the above, so in that sense they're different, but that not the only way in which it can be, and has been, (ab)used.

> Manifest and mixed, I say. But who cares about these
> classifications anyway?

If they exist, then I care about them. (If they ceased to exist, then admittedly I wouldn't be greatly upset.) As I said to Peter a little while ago, the FDR seemed to have this view, so one would be entitled to see that as evidence that this is correct -- or that it's wrong, and that the more cautious GLers who decided not to touch it with a ten-foot pole got it right, and is a 'different system', like perhaps the EWF was too.

(Doubtless the HW rules will present it in terms of one or the other, which will instantly be seized on as Evidence of Correctness of that view, but there you go...)

> >Just because the mountains are currently
> >infested with hsunchen doesn't make their magic 'original' to Kralorela:
>
> Quite true. The Hsunchen probably arrived in Kralorela long enough
> ago for the point to be pretty marginal. Hsunchen probably predate
> mysticism in Kralorela?

Depends whom one believes. The Kralori view is certainly that 'draconicism' is eternal, and that the hsunchen are just yet another of a line long of unwise chaps who persist in misperceiving some portion of the Cosmic Dragon incorrectly, and then hanging on to their misperceptions (very much) as if for dear life.

> The basic point being that a generous helping of hsunchen was
> stirred into the Kralori cultural stew long ago, and although many have
> attempted to strain it out since, you can still taste the flavour
> sometimes.

I'm not sure I agree with this: it makes them sound like a 'component culture' of KraLor, after the fashion of the Pelorian Melting Pot, whereas I think their main influence is as neighbours and enemies.

> Its certainly alleged that Eagle style martial artists turn their
> hands into claws, though.

I saw these allegations, and was unmoved thereby.

Cheers,
Alex.