Re: Making Amends & Balazar's god

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_jps.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:26:42 -0800

> > What I suggest is not a Lightbringer making-amend style quest: I suggest
> > that Orlanth could, reasoning by absurd, provided that he wanted not to
> > restore Yelm but merely not being blamed for murdering him, Orlanth
could
> > transfer the blame on Wakboth or Ragnaglar or Zorak Zoran, just to
identify
> > a more plausible guilty one.
>
> That is not how Orlanth does things. That is not what Orlanth does. For
> an Orlanthi Wind Lord to attempt such a thing would either greatly
> diminish his status in the eyes of Orlanth or require that the Wind Lord
> HeroQuest most dangerously to "discover" an appropriate myth permitting
this.

This assumes that you're dealing with "someone of honor", not chaos scum...

That is "hidden murder", which is one of the worst things you can do. Good Orlanthi own up to their killings - either say "Yeah I did it, what was his wergild", or "yeah I did it, what are you going to do about it?" Saying something along the lines of "I found his body, but *I* didn't kill him" isn't honorable (assuming you did, in fact, kill him). Getting found out is a BAD THING. Your own family will probably disown you, and may even lead the lynch mob to regain their own honor.

> > As for the weregild suggestion: I am amazed. You really think a weregild
can
> > be paid to Babeester, Zorani, Thanathari and Mallians?

You can always offer wergild to Babeester, possibly even Zorak Zoran. They can always refuse (and wonder about your mental state...) As far as offering wergild to Thanatar or Mallia, why are you treating them like people? Send your local anti-chaos jack-booted thugs to take care of them.

> > Has any of you ever tried to pay a weregild to the Stormbullies for
> > voluntarily killing one of their berserkers?

But in these cases you should own up to the murder! Your clan should support you (the first time, if it was justified...) either to raise the wergeld or to defend you. Remember that you won't be facing the entire cult of Storm bull, just the locals who happened to like ol' Billy-Bob Berserker - so those eight bullies get to face off against you (who obviously can kill a storm bull); and your buddies; and your brothers & sisters & mother & father; and your aunts, uncles & cousins; and your clan chief and his weaponthanes. Feel better about the odds now? Of course, if you make a habit of murdering people, the number of people willing to support you will drop until even your buddies tell you "you're on your own this time".

Remember that some killings are acceptable and, indeed, necessary. Killings in battle, or to defend your stead or family, or someone under your protection, or of a bandit or outlaw are usually considered "legal". Some may need weregild, most don't because the person you killed was breaking the law in the first place, so putting himself outside the protection of the law.

> Subject: Balazar's God
>
> >Balazar worshiped a deity named Tharkantus, all of whose worshipers
> >apparently died during the Dragonkill.
>
> and:
> >Since Balazar worshipped Yelmalio, his followers do also.
>
> So what did he worship? And what do modern-day Balazarites worship
> (apart from Balazar of course)? Or should we suspect a typo or two?
>
> Do modern Balazarites believe that Balazar has always been associated
> with Yelmalio or do they know of this mystery-figure Tharkantus? Is
> Tharkantus possibly a pre-Monrogh-revelation 'predecessor' or cognate
> to Yelmalio?

Or Tharkantus was a subcult of the Yelmalio cognate...

Roderick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #328