Hsunchen, dracons, Kralorelans

From: Dave Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:22:16 +0800

>One can readily
>discern a difference between Krissa Yar and Godunya, but in what
>sense are they 'differently draconic'?

        The question is, being as they are obviously different, in which sense are they both draconic? Apart from the surface element of being concerned with dragons, there wouldn't seem to be an awful lot in common between, say, the EWF, the Inhuman King, and the Kralorelans. Especially as those aspects that are most obviously similar (eg POIM) are condemned as misunderstandings.

        After all, Dayzatar, Somash, and Cronisper are all somewhat concerned with things celestial. Kralorelan and dragonnewt draconism would appear to have about as much in common, outwardly.

> Do you mean a difference
>in method, or in result?

        Yes.

>> Quite true. The Hsunchen probably arrived in Kralorela long enough
>> ago for the point to be pretty marginal. Hsunchen probably predate
>> mysticism in Kralorela?
>
>Depends whom one believes. The Kralori view is certainly that
>'draconicism' is eternal, and that the hsunchen are just yet another
>of a line long of unwise chaps who persist in misperceiving some
>portion of the Cosmic Dragon incorrectly, and then hanging on to
>their misperceptions (very much) as if for dear life.

        Indeed. I find this explanation, Peters clever rationalisations, engaging but unconvincing - I believe it may well be what modern Kralorelans claim, but that doesn't mean I believe it.

        I'm fairly sure the Hsunchen have been there (meaning somewhere to the East of the Wastes - not necessarily central Kralorela) since the mid Green age,being one of the original Genertelan Hsunchen groups. As we have no real idea of anything that happened before the late green age, they might as well have been there forever.

>> The basic point being that a generous helping of hsunchen was
>> stirred into the Kralori cultural stew long ago, and although many have
>> attempted to strain it out since, you can still taste the flavour
>> sometimes.
>
>I'm not sure I agree with this: it makes them sound like a 'component
>culture' of KraLor, after the fashion of the Pelorian Melting Pot,
>whereas I think their main influence is as neighbours and enemies.

        Neighbours for a very long time. I also think that some cultural assimilation has occurred - I believe that there are citizens of Kralorela who are descended from Hsunchen and remember some aspects of the old ways.

>> Its certainly alleged that Eagle style martial artists turn their
>> hands into claws, though.
>
>I saw these allegations, and was unmoved thereby.

        One of the problems with trying to work out anything about these Eastern cultures is that you can always find someone to deny just about anything ever said about them.

	Cheers
		David