Homo Non Intelligendo Fit Omnia

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:57:11 +1100

Heys Folks,

HOMO NON INTELLIGENDO FIT OMNIA: DEFINITIONS OF CULTURE AND THEIR IMPLICATIONS

> Gian:
>
> >I assume that human cultures (I am no socyologist, you know, but I
> studied
> >some manuals back at the University) are similar, in some respects, to
> the
> >human ages of an individual.

"No way", I thought to myself. I'm not gonna touch this with a ten foot pole. Think of your blood pressure, think of the hair loss. Just let it go, eschew it, it's not a troll... it wasn't meant for you.

Gian, please please please go and read some encyclopedia articles on 'society', 'culture', 'anthropology' or 'sociology'. Read a little on that great Italian scholar Giambattista Vico, who 'invented' the study of human society and culture back in the seventeenth century. One of his more incisive and pertinent remarks - "It is in NOT understanding that Man creates his world".

I can only concur with Mik Raaterova's measured reply on this. And grit my teeth. :)

> >How can you define a human culture? By two dimensions, I assume.
> >Geography and Language.

I don't think your idea should be wasted. It's got a lot of GAME potential. Its very MGF Glorantha. It flies! Assume some younger-son aristocrat Lunar scholar at the Glamour Institute of Lunar Thaumatology and Barbarian Vivisection has gotten it written into official Lunar policy. This ain't augury, it's science. At last, a realistic way of defining and understanding barbarians!

A bunch of bureaucrats, census takers, 7Mums social worker nuns and puzzled infantry get to implement it in your local neck of the [Orlanthi] woods. The Kinder, Gentler Face of the Empire, cause now we understand you. There's a scenario here, I can smell it...

Cheers,

John

nysalor_at_primus.com.au                        John Hughes

Havamal 86.