Tharkantus

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:41:22 +1300

Mikael Raaterova:

::Balazar worshiped a deity named Tharkantus, all of whose worshipers ::apparently died during the Dragonkill.

::Since Balazar worshipped Yelmalio, his followers do also.

>So what did he worship? And what do modern-day Balazarites worship
>(apart from Balazar of course)? Or should we suspect a typo or two?

I suspect Greg has been re-editing this passage and somewhat ham-fisted about it.

My guess is that Tharkanatus is the Dara Happan name for the God of the Sun Dome Temple that settled (or resettled) in Holay in 562 ST. This God was called by the Orlanthi "Yelmalio" because of their friendship with the local elves against the trolls and under that name, the Sun Domes spread throughout Dragon Pass and eventually into Pavis.

So there's a division between the Sun Dome worshippers: the traditionalists (mainly found in Peloria) call him Tharkantus and the Orlanthi call him Yelmalio. When Balazar settled Votankiland, he was a worshipper of Tharkantus although he was not adverse to having Yelmalions in his temple.

When the Emperor issued the Call For Heroes, nearly all the Tharkanti answered the call and were eliminated. Many of the Yelmalions did not and survived lingered around the Sun Dome Temples although gravely weakened until the Monrogh revival. I disagree with the existance of Yelmalio clans in standard Orlanthi society - such statements should be understood IMO as referring to Elmal.

>Do modern Balazarites believe that Balazar has always been associated
>with Yelmalio or do they know of this mystery-figure Tharkantus?

IMO only Dara Happans know that he's been associated with Tharkantus or even Daysenevus (a Dawn Age manifestation destroyed by Arkat). Everybody else knows that Yelmalio has always been here.