Contra johannem ughorum

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:28:51 GMT

John Hughes wrote:
"HOMO NON INTELLIGENDO FIT OMNIA"
"It is in NOT understanding that Man creates his world"

I am sorry, but your interpretation is uncorrect. The Latin statement means: "Everything has been created (by someone) even if man can't understand/know (reality)". "Homo" could be a vocative or a typo for "homine".
Anyway: Man, according to this sentence, does not create anything. Simply, he can't wholly comprehend the world as it is. To this I agree.
To your translation I say: ass-work!

Sorry for the small Gloranthan connection, but I can't bear this anymore! Everyone has the right to think what he likes (me, too), but nobody (either John) has the right to correct you via an incorrect argument. Moreover he (John) advises me to read Vico! Vico was my major source for my theory!!! Which Giambattista Vico do you know, dear John? He wrote in the XVIII century, BTW. Change your references.

Latinist Gian