Eagle Claw vs Snake Fist, Farming is Dull?

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:40:57 -0800

I really am enjoying TERRA's posts (and Peter's replies):

TERRA sez:

>(I think Gloranthan Kralorelan bent to this current structure owed largely
>to Hollywood and HongKong Movies. But I cannot believe a human
>without tool or handweapon, or cultural structure overly powered. Of course,
>Glorantha is Fantasy world.)

Not all Hsunchen are as technologically handicapped as the Basmoli. =) (Semi-)seriously...I think most Hsunchen societies are affected by their neighbors to some degree or other, depending on their isolation. I suppose if you got representatives of all the Hsunchen together some would cop a More Hsunchen Than Thou Attitude, even with their own Eagle/Lion/Wolf brothers, because of cultural bleed. But whether your god answers your prayers is what counts, yes?

>so I think Hsunchen association to Martial artist sects has credibility for
>my sense of fun.

Me too. If we can gleefully stripmine Mad Max and Appocalypse Now for scenario hooks how can we be expected to ignore the works of Tsui Hark, John Woo and Ringo Lam? I recall a scene in "Swordsman II" where Jet Li breaks some kung-fu master out of prison and said master restores his ravaged body by draining the life-force out of two hapless guards. If that's not Bad Tapping, Kraloran-style, I don't know what is.

Martin Crim calls down the wrath of the SFC:

>>b) The everyday lives of ordinary people.

>What's to know? We know there are bars everywhere, and a magic shop in
>every city, and some kind of king guy and lots of bearded dudes with major
>mojo and kewl robes. Obviously someone out there somewhere in the great
>magic-carpet-flyover area must be raising crops and herds and so on, but
>*really* it's all so dreary.

>That actually isn't intended entirely facetiously, as depending on social
>class a person might be totally ignorant of the mechanisms which make it
>possible for one to be an idle parasite.

Some of my players would resent being called idle...parasite they could live with. =) My goal as gm and Painter-of-Lead is to make the mundane interesting...for me, if nothing else.

The % of the population that go off adventuring and the % that live off the Sweat of the Common Sort is not the same %. =) I can imagine what the lives of ordinary people are like in any campaign world/universe (and how it relates to those of my players or characters) in the UFP, Gotham or Greyhawk but none feel as comfortable as Glorantha, where the flavor text seems to be more flavorsome.

Gary R. Switzer
Aero Hobbies

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #332