Yelmalio clans

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:11:05 +1300

John Hughes:

>Can anyone suggest for me the typical composition of a Yelmalian/Solar
>clan or tribal ring in the Far Place or eastern Tarsh c.1623?

I doubt that such clans rule through Orlanthi methods of rings. Rather they have rule through the Temple and annoited leaders chosen on the grounds of piety (and perhaps ability) like Sun County does, as per the revelations of the prophet Monrogh. Undoubtedly the Sun Domer clans did use rings in the Imperial Age, but that was a long time ago.

A noticable difference would be in the structure of their temple. Yelmalio clans would always (try to) have a Gold (coloured) Dome atop their temple whereas the Elmali have a Golden House. The bare minimum would be something like the Yelmalio shrine in "Gaumata's Vision" (SotB p22).

>I assume it would
>be more hierarchical than its Lightbringer conterparts, but given the
>propensity for conversion back and forth (esp. with former Elmali clans) I
>also imagine there would be strong structural and dynamic similarities.

It depends on how strong the Elmali are. Much of the heat in conversion involves the acceptance of Monrogh's revelations among the Elmali and how populous the Elmali are among the rest of the tribe/clan. If any of these variables are less than overwhelming, then there will be a lot of flip-flopping, such as:

	Chief Elmarth went to the Sun Dome Temple and was annointed
	as Count of the Sun Clan by the Priests there.

	Count Elmarth is forced into a retirement tower by Harvar
	the Golden.  He summons the ring who then acclaim his chief
	and rebuilds the Golden House that was torn down by Harvar.

Priests of Orlanth etc. will continue to exist but they become just secondary magicians, like the Black Rock Shaman.

>What role (formal or informal) would the Womens Circle (or its Solar
>counterpart) play?

Out of sight, out of mind.

>How Pro-Lunar would Far Point Yelmalians be, and would this be
>reflected in their tribal bodies?

They would be insular IMO but not as much as Sun County is.