Faith and Racism...

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:25:10 -0800

Gian proposed:
>So, I say, RW faith, Christian RW
>faith does not exist in Glorantha. It is more similar to medieval and
>primitive superstition

And I just don't think that that is the case. There are differences, to be sure, but Faith (capital 'eff' intended) is alive and well in (at least My) Glorantha.

Gloranthans may have more direct evidence that their gods exist than we seem to in the RW, but there are still Many things that they have to take on Faith. For example, how is it that Orlanthi know that Orlanth is the one true "King of the Gods"? and Yelmies know the same thing about Yelm? Do the Storm Bullies Really KNOW that killing eveything tainted by chaos is a good thing? All Uz know with sublime certainty that "my momma c'n kick yer mommas ass", without needing this enacted. Malkioni require Faith in Solace, and even Dwarves keep faith in the schedule. These are all subjects of deep religious faith and devotion for which there is no objective "proof". Just because I know that Bill Clinton exists, doesn't nescessarily mean that I should Worship him, now does it? True Worship is always an act of Faith.

One of the things that makes Glorantha unique as a Fantasy World is that (much like the RW IMO) Good and Evil are also a matter of Faith. Orlanthi know that Lunars are Evil in the same way that the Green Irish know how rotten the Orangemen are.

And on the subject of color-hatred...

There is Clearly no need to persecute Elves on the basis of skin color. They're JUST PLANTS, dammit!!! Why would you need any other reason to persecute them?? ;-) The color just determines which runners are the best garnish for which entree. "Elf Gud. Ah try ta have one wid evvy meal... keeps ya reg'lar."

danm

PS -- is it just me, or has anyone else noticed just exactly how eerily well Gian fits in with this cantankerous, prickly, flame-prone bunch of gloranthaphiles here on the digest??? Welcome! and don't loose track of your asbestos underwear -- you'll need it ;-)