Re: Yelmalion Far Point

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 05:04:23 GMT

> From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>

> Alex stated:
> >Of course; the Far Point mob seem to be particularly Yelmalio-ist.
>
> Before the Lunar Conquest, Far Point was a pretty heterodox
> 'culture'; now it's basically torn apart by rivalling cosmologies.

[...]

> I think the Canon of seeing Far Point as particularly Yelmalo-ist
> stems from the freeform Home of the Bold, where Harvar is said to
> worship Yelmalio. Well, in the Sartar Book draft for HW he worships
> the Bigger Wind. It seems like he is trying to pull a Lokamayadon.

The sense of my 'particularly' was, in the context of my discussion with Nick, 'places in Sartar you're more likely to find Yelmalio clans, as distinct from Elmal clans, and as distinct from Yelmalians in Sun Dome, in the present day'. I wasn't suggesting it was in a numerical majority as a religion, for example, compared to 'Orlanth-worshipping Orlanthi', (I sincerely hope you're not warming up another neologism...) at least not necessarily. (John Hughes' problems notwithstanding.)

Cheers,
Alex.