Re: Faith in Glorantha

From: Julian Lord <julianlord_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:40:30 +0100 (CET)

Phil :
>> Is the modern concept of faith applicable in a
>> Gloranthan sense? Nowadays, it
>> means "There's no evidence, but I believe it
>> anyway",

Alex :

> I'd question this as being the 'correct' definition
> of faith, though certainly it's one one often sees.
> (Indeed, people on occasion describe their
> own 'faith' in roughly such terms, even more
> perplexingly.)

Including St Paul, in Corinthians ...

Not so "modern", then.

I think that Faith definitely has relevance in Glorantha given that it can be boiled down to good faith in the honesty of your friends and superiours (and their faith in yours). Faith in God(s) is an extension of your faith in yourself through your culture. Much of the Gloranthan Hero Plane is a 'material'-isation of this kind of Faith.

Revelation is actually a LOT more difficult to handle. You KNOW that something is True because it has been personally Revealed to YOU, but none of your friends or superiours have this privileged information. And unless you can teach them how to HeroQuest for it, or can "convince the examiners" or whatever, this Truth will be rejected; and where's that gonna leave your faith in your culture?

Julian Lord

Do You Yahoo!?
Achetez, vendez! _at_ votre prix! Sur http://encheres.yahoo.fr

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #334