Faith in Glorantha

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:50:28 -0400

> I think that this is one case where Earth religion is not a good model
for
understanding Gloranthan religion.

While I agree in general, I think there's one possibly helpful insight from earthly beliefs. The Christian apologist CS Lewis told a parable of a main who for years had to wear a mask that made him seem much more handsome than he really was. When he removed it his face had grown to fit and he really was more handsome.

His argument was that engaging in ritual has the effect of increasing faith.

I've seen this sort of thing work in other contexts as well, it's a standard
technique in gestalt psychology. Changing our habits, or even the way we talk about things, can change attitudes and beliefs.

Andrew

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #687