Re: Faith in Glorantha

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:50:52 GMT

Me'n'Jules:

> > You're telling me Paul believed there was
> > no 'evidence' for the existence of God? That
> > surprises me, a tad...

> Not quite ; He *knew* God personally ; but he also
> knew that other people generally don't, and asks them
> to simply have faith in the Gospels (and in Greek
> philosophy).

Once again returning us to the central semantic quibble at the root of this discussion: is the validity of Greek philosophy, and the testimony of the Gospels, and of others with direct personal experience of god (like himself, and subsequent types) 'no evidence'?

It strikes me that we're not dealing with different degrees of faith, between different Glorantha and RW religions, so much as differently-attributed types of faith. Some religions recognise these differences explicitly, according to the needs of the individual (the example of Bhakti vs. Jnana paths in Hinduism springs to mind), with others you get a 'package deal', and unwrap it as best you can.

> I think that Western Heroquesting is probably a
> Hollywood special effects version of having a Crisis
> in Faith - anyone seen 'Dogma' ? ;-)

I haven't, but if the trailers are any indication, that might liven up our persceptions of the Gloranthan Wild Wild West a tad. ;-) (And it could kinda do with it, though this is likely more a function of my personal hangups than of any intrinsic qualities.)

Cheers,
Alex.