Heroquesting and Faith

From: Gian Gero <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:52:43 GMT

<<I think that Western Heroquesting is probably a Hollywood special effects version of having a Crisis in Faith - anyone seen 'Dogma' ? ;-)
Julian Lord>>

My Faith AND my Gloranthanlore force me to answer. I think this is not true, Julian.
Heroquesting is a way in which a Gloranthan, even a Western one, willingly tries to change the world and/or a cult. 'Willingly' is the key word in this sentence. You think that Jesus was deliberately going to doubt himself when he cried "God, Why did you abandon me?". He had a crisis, but that didn't change the world (incidentally: an event that Easter did; not the death of Christ, but his resurrection and - God forgive me- his godquesting in the Underworld). A dogma, then, is another thing: dogma is not the real, sensible world, otherwise why call it dogma? It is a definition, by the Church, that says: if you want to believe in Christ as revelled by the Roman Catholic Church, you also have to believe that this thing (not evident) is true. e.g. St.Mary was a virgin (not demonstrable): this is a dogma; if you don't believe it, you don't believe in the Roman Catholic Church's Revelation; you can still believe in Protestant Church or in Christ all by yourself; you can even be saved; the Church does not say that if you don't believe in a dogma you are damned, it says that in this instance you are not a catholic. Period. This could hinder your personal salvation, but none can really say.

Pardon me. I hope someone of you can use all this to better ends. Ciao
Gian