Arkat & the Other Side

From: DBlizzard_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:23:06 EDT

How does this separation of the otherworlds affect who Arkat was now? Originally part of his secret was basically as follows: While in the west he went heroquesting. He then joined Humakt and learned how to "forge his own path" in the otherworlds because he noticed certain common grounds where he could diverge off into another heroquest he had already been on. Now we find that the Westerners have an entirely different "Other Side" than the theists.

So, does this mean that there are simliar areas in both the Sorcery Planes & the God World? Maybe there are now several "base" Arkats (which doesn't explain how he gained his Heroquesting secrets)? Maybe he was just a really powerful heroquester to begin with and could handle the negative modifiers for being in the "wrong" otherside.

Personally, I like the first (well, now that we have the separate Other Sides). We know there are places where you can reach the Other Side "accidently" from Glorantha proper. Why can't there be places where the Other Sides leak into each other. I'm sure it's common in the Underworld.

Now Arkat seems to have been a sorceror (Knight of Hrestol), Theist (Humakti) and Mystic (his illumination). Did he have any animist training? The closest I can see is some from his being a troll, although this seems to have been mostly Theist.

David A. Blizzard