Re: Arkat & the Other Side

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:17:59 -0700

David asks:

> How does this separation of the otherworlds affect who Arkat was now?
> Originally part of his secret was basically as follows: While in the west
he
> went heroquesting. He then joined Humakt and learned how to "forge his own
> path" in the otherworlds because he noticed certain common grounds where
he
> could diverge off into another heroquest he had already been on. Now we
find
> that the Westerners have an entirely different "Other Side" than the
theists.

> So, does this mean that there are simliar areas in both the Sorcery Planes
&
> the God World? Maybe there are now several "base" Arkats (which doesn't
> explain how he gained his Heroquesting secrets)? Maybe he was just a
really
> powerful heroquester to begin with and could handle the negative modifiers
> for being in the "wrong" otherside.

There are definitely ways to get to the "wrong" otherside - Check the Westfaring (KoS 83 or Visions 87) for the bit about "Sorcerer's Town" - this is a trip through the Sorcery World for the Lightbringers. All the worlds have "frontiers" that bleed from one world into another - even the mundane plane gets wacky out on the fringes.

Sometimes a Heroquest leads through another world, and you'd better be prepared for it. Go on the Lightbringer Quest (the real one, like Harmast did) and you will *have* to go through Sorcerer's Town and face that -20 Alien World mod.

The rules do not go into all the details of Heroquesting - there will probably be a book later about it - and we focused intentionally on the Theistic version just to get *something* in there without going 'way over budget (word-wise). (I can imagine the screams that would have ensued if we'd brought out HW *without* Heroquesting!). Theist HQs are the easiest to understand, since you treat the Otherworld just like *this* one, except the god live over there...

RR