Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #332

From: Guy Jobbins <gej865_at_spp2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:33:23 GMT

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:29:47 -0800
> From: owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com (The Glorantha Digest)
> To: glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com
> Subject: The Glorantha Digest V7 #332

> >so I think Hsunchen association to Martial artist sects has credibility for
> >my sense of fun.
>
> There are hsunchen forms of martial arts but they are too unclean
> for most Kralori to practice.

would i be right in thinking that hsunchen martial arts styles would be like the 'animal styles' of chinese martial arts? if i remember right then martial arts like Hsing Yi Chuan (a style which incorporates 12 animals) were originally strongly shamanistic/animistic in their thinking. the practioner would conjure within them the spirit of the tiger, or whatever, and fight with that spirit. in his own mind he would take on the form and movement of a tiger, so his fingers would become as claws etc.

Hsing Yi Chuan means 'Shape (Hsing) of Mind (Yi) Boxing(Chuan)'. Yi has a more specific meaning than just 'mind' - it refers to one's emotional mind, or one's belief. the training begins with study of the 'form' - or techniques of the art - and then as the form is perfected the elements of belief are incorporated. finally the belief overcomes the limits of technique and the practioner fights instinctively - with the spirit of the animal.

in Glorantha this could be how the ability to shape change is taught/learnt - copy the movement of the animal, perfect it, pretend you are the animal, now you are the animal. once the spirit has been summoned it can be called up instinctively at any time thereafter. now i don't know much about the hsunchen, unfortunatly, but i can see an MGF link here.

am i on-course or running aground?

cheers, guy